Wednesday, March 25, 2009

sunday, august 8th, 10:44 pm (2004)

I am God's Little Miracle. We had to say that every day at Vacation Bible School. Two weeks out of every summer, six days a week. Sister Norma with the bright red wig and the too muych makeup. All together: "I am God's Little Miracle." I've been trying to figure out how I got to where I am today. My daddy was a preacher when I was growing up, and daddy taught speaking in tongues. And when I was 12 years old, I spoke in tongues. They say when you speak in tongues, the Holy Ghost comes into your body and out of your mouth. You have no control over it. Daddy was always the first to sense the Holy Ghost in the church house. We'd go thru one last hymn before the sermon:

Jesus it would please us
If you would come back real soon
etc.

And then daddy would give Brother Leighton the signal, and Bro. Leighton would continue playing the organ and a hush would fall on the congregation, and Brother Cannon would start moaning, "oooh... oooh..." like the Holy Ghost was trying to come out of his mouth but he was resisting it. And then somebody else would get the Holy Ghost in them, and they would start speaking in tongues, and everybody would be swaying, their hands up in the air, waiting for their turn, and maybe they would get their turn, and maybe they wouldn't.

And then after a while, Sis. Norma would start translating. They say that God was giving the translation to Sis. Norma because He was the only one who could understand it, and she could only understand Him because she'd taken a class in glossolalia at the community college - or at vocation school or something - a Vocational Bible School, and that's where she learned that "I am God's little miracle" thing. She was a glossolaliologist, and she would translate what the Holy Ghost had said through somebody, through somebody else.

I always used to wonder why, if only God could understand it, why did he turn around and tell somebody else how to translate it into English for us to hear? I mean, why didn't the Holy Ghost just say it in English in the first place? Well, maybe the Holy Ghost doesn't speak English. Or, or - they have this little thing between them, God and the Holy Ghost. I mean, who is the Holy Ghost? They never say. They say the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. The Father is God, the Son is Jesus, but who is the Holy Ghost? They never say. Why? I think maybe the Holy Ghost is a female. Think about it. They say "the father" and they point to the brain, and they say "the son," and they point to the penis, and then they say "the Holy Ghost," they they point to the two titties. Why?

No comments: