Saturday, March 14, 2009

je ne parle pas français

I've been kind of feeling sorry for myself about France. I bought a French phrase book and dictionary, but haven't done a whole lot of work with it, and I've been feeling like I can't afford this trip because of my pay cut at work.

But I have to remember the reason for the trip. It is to honor the life of my friend who died a year ago. J had leukemia and was blind and I helped out at his and his wife's house and (more) at the hospital while he got a bone marrow transplant. I became very close to him and his wife and his father and brother and other family members, so when his wife brought up the fact that they would be going to Paris (his favorite city) to celebrate his life on the year anniversary of his death, I said, "I want to go," and she said, "Anybody is welcome to go!" So I went home and bought a ticket. That was six months ago or so when the financial world (mine at least) was a lot less uncertain.

So, ahhh, I take a deep breath and think about what a wonderful trip this will be. My friend died on March 24th, so there will be rituals and celebrations the day before, the day of, and the day after.

On March 23rd, all those assembled in Paris will go to one of his favorite restaurants (he loved Paris, visited several times with his family growing up, spent some time teaching there in his adult life, went with his wife on several occasions); those who knew him better than I did will give remembrances of his times in Paris. I'm sure there will be funny stories, because he was a very funny man, as well as sweet ones; there will probably be tears.

On the 24th, we will have a full day of celebrations and remembrances, in the Old Jewish Quarter, the Seine where A will sprinkle some of his and his guide dog Dillon's ashes, then to that famous cemetery where the bodies of Jim Morrison, Oscar Wilde and others lie. Later, we'll have a less formal dinner at another place he loved, and finish out the night possibly at a jazz club; J loved jazz and I think because of him I've gotten a real taste for it myself. (I'm hoping some day to borrow some of his CDs and copy them onto my iPhone.)

The 25th, the day after the anniversary, is about the future. A friend who lives in Paris has chosen (or is choosing) a restaurant and perhaps other sites to visit that J never went to but would have liked. Maybe he even mentioned wanting to go to these places at some point.

I leave Austin on Friday, arrive on Saturday the 21st, so I'll have time to acclimate to the time change before the celebrations begin. And I'll be there until the 29th, so I'll have a few days after to explore Paris on my own. But I will happily tag along with J's brother and sister-in-law while they are in town because they are both fluent in French, and I hardly even know how to say "I can't speak French" in French!

I was a little panicked recently when the company who booked me into the bed and breakfast I'm staying at told me I should get in touch with the woman who owns the apartment where I'll be staying (in the guest room). But she doesn't speak English. When my panic was apparent, the woman at the company told me that she would be happy to contact Mme. Rey on my behalf. Je vais compter sur la bonté des étrangers.

No comments: