Monday, October 27, 2008

birthday season update #3

The gift I selected this morning from my Birthday Festival bag (provided by A) was a eucalyptus + peppermint soy candle.

Yesterday was very good. I'm a bit groggy this morning from the festivities, which mostly I did alone.

I started the day at 11 o'clock at Casa de Luz, my favorite vegan/macrobiotic/organic restaurant in Austin for brunch. Okay, it's the only vegan/macrobiotic/organic restaurant in Austin. My meal included:
  • sweet and spicy adzuki bean stew
  • garden salad w/ginger apple radish dressing
  • short and medium brown rice w/toasted almonds and creamy corn and carrot topping
  • blanched greens w/citrus olive walnut sauce
  • steamed broccoli and cauliflower w/sauteed onion and basil
  • tempeh triangle in miso ume pepper sauce
  • red and green cabbage
It was such a healthy meal, I had the urge to "balance" it and stopped at Progress Coffee for a cinnamon roll and an iced coffee. The thing I love most about Progress is that all of their to-go containers are made from corn and are compostable. Hooray! (Now that's progress!) But I wish their iced coffee wasn't always flavored...

I spent the afternoon trying to work, putting in 2.5 hours over six! Ugh! Sometimes it's just so difficult.

In the evening, S & I watched Time To Leave, which I had seen before but decided to watch again because I remembered liking it. I opted for this over going to an experimental, ambient and psychodelic folk music show called Church of the Friendly Ghost (which sounds pretty interesting, doesn't it?!).

I didn't like the movie, I loved it. S was out of town when I rented it previously, and I rented it because it's about a gay man with terminal cancer (the tagline on the movie is "The Poetics of Dying,"), and because Jeanne Moreau is a co-star, and I adore her. The director, François Ozon, is one of my favorite modern French filmmakers. The movie is beautifully written, beautifully filmed and acted; the story is sad, sweet, devastating and powerful. I highly recommend this film.

And as happened before, I was inspired to write after watching the movie, so I sat on the porch and worked on chapter three and then came inside and typed it up on the computer. I feel generally finished with the rough first draft of august chagrin, and am now going back through in chronological order of the telling of the story to rework certain parts before I finalize the first draft. Chronologically, chapter three is the first.

I know, I know, I could be at this endlessly, but I'm gonna try not to be. Chapter three changed considerably, but the essence remained. Little things pop up. Originally it was taking place in 1975 when Randy Reardon was nine years old, but it takes place in the summer, and Randy didn't turn nine until the fall of '75, so I changed the year to '76, which changed some things brilliantly, particularly the fact that Randy accidentally sets fire to a train car full of timber. Previously, he was doing it with a flare he found, and now he is doing it with a roman candle (which there were likely plenty of in the summer of '76).

I'm pleased with the work I did, though I haven't printed it out yet. I was up until 3:00 a.m., so I was barely holding on the last hour or so as I was trying to get the work done. But I was propelled by the creative creature that resides inside me. I believe this is the chapter I'm going to read on Saturday at our salon.

But now I must (try to) work.

1 comment:

Steven said...

How many favorite modern French filmmakers do you have?