Tuesday, October 2, 2007

brenda in the fountain

I have a character named Brenda who is modeled after a distant relative named B1* who just died in the last six months from something related to smoking.

I had a dream last night that I was walking through a mall with an older woman, a younger kid (perhaps my Great Aunt M2 -- B1's mother -- and me as a boy) on my left and B1 on my right.

An older couple came up to us asking for a light for the woman's cigarette. Three of us talked to ourselves about the fact that smoking indoors was against the law, that these people must be "foreigners," but the little kid reminded us that in Memphis malls you can still smoke.

We were not in a Memphis mall, but B1 had pulled over to light the woman's cigarette and rejoined us with one of her own cigarettes smoldering. The Great Aunt M2 character and I looked at each other, she shook her head.

B1 almost walked over the edge of a mall fountain and Aunt M2 said, "I told you she was just gonna fall in if she didn't watch out." B1 stopped then took a huge jump into the middle of the non-functioning fountain and I felt exhilarated as I watched her bubbles surface in the middle of the big circle.

B1 came up and climbed out of the other side and laughed that smoky laugh I remember from my childhood. I looked to Aunt M2 and woke up.

No comments: