Friday, September 28, 2007

sister spam

Is it unethical to flag your sister's emails to go directly into the Spam folder? R1* has gotten into the habit of sending me stupid inspirational (read "Christian") emails, sometimes forwarded from other family members -- most notably my mother's younger sister, a real Jesus fanatic and proud of it -- or the results of her own internet "research."

They used to be more intermittent, but not too long ago, she sent me one about a 9-year-old boy who wet his pants in class and prayed to God for help because he was about to get called on by the teacher and would have to stand up, and if the boys saw him they would pick on him and the girls would never talk to him again (in other words, he'd be called a fag and/or never get laid).

Well, PTL (Praise The Lord), because just as the teacher called on him, little Susie, who wass walking across the room with a fishbowl, tripped and spilled her fish-water on the boy and everyone laughed at her instead. ("Thanks a lot, God," says the boy, and, I imagined Susie saying the same thing, but with emphasis on different words.)

The question on my mind is this: Does my sister really believe this shit? That "God" would trip a little girl to save a little boy because he prayed in the middle of English class instead of paying attention, and instead of going to the bathroom between classes. (Seems like God might've seen that coming and reminded him, or maybe just magically dried up the urine-- Now there's a miracle worth sending out in a zillion emails!)

The answer, I believe, is yes.

I was in a playful mood the day I received her email, so I responded with: "But what happened to the goldfish?!"

She wrote back, with matching "playfulness": YOU WOULD! ...HILARIOUS!!!

And now I get at least one of these stupid things just about every day (a couple of days ago FOUR arrived in my email inbox at once). I don't usually read them, just hit DELETE, and that's probably the best thing to do.

Today, I was bored enough to open the email I got (which S1 called "Christianity for 3-year-olds") about a man who prayed for a flower and a butterfly, and instead got a cactus and a caterpillar. The man was sad but said, "Oh, well, I guess God has too many people to take care of, I'll just be happy with what I got." A couple of days go by and the cactus has bloomed and the caterpillar has...well, you're ahead of me.

GOD ALWAYS HAS THE RIGHT ANSWER!!
(the message reminded me)
ONE DAY'S THORN IS THE NEXT DAY'S BLESSING.

If that's these people's idea of Heaven, I'm glad I won't be going there...

No comments: