Tuesday, September 16, 2008

the lucky roommate

Last night was the first night in months that I slept in anything and under a light blanket (most nights I haven't even slept under the sheet) with all the fans off. It's 75° outside right now and I'm wearing pj bottoms and slippers over socks. Yesterday, S made a soup out of the squash we got from our Community Supported Agriculture delivery, "before they all rot," he said. Today is his long day at school; he left the house at 9:00 a.m. for a class and his last class ends at 10:00 p.m. (he has some long open stretches in the middle, but he won't be coming home, he stays there and studies). He told me wouldn't be home to fix supper but reminded me about the soup. I have plans with M (who's just returned home from a national tour) to go see a film about the end of Bertolt Brecht's life called The Farewell, which is at the Alamo, so I'll be eating there. But I had some of the soup for lunch with a piece of toast from a loaf of rosemary bread A sent home with us after dinner at her house Sunday a week ago. The soup is the color of fall, a little less orange than pumpkin, but velvety smooth, sweet and slightly spicy. I'm the lucky roommate.

Last night, S and I went to see Burn After Reading at the Alamo Downtown (the Ritz) -- tonight's showing is at Alamo South -- and I had a Greek salad; he had his usual bleu burger with fries. It was already cool out, so I had a Guinness. This weather is fantastic. We both liked Burn quite a bit, though I felt like it didn't have the punch that say Fargo had. S disagreed with me there, but felt that Frances McDormand's performance was perhaps a bit restrained, whereas I thought she was great. We didn't talk a lot about it, not in order to avoid any conflict between us, I just think there wasn't a lot to say (that's what I mean by it not having as big a punch; Fargo was a topic at water-coolers for awhile, as I recall). Maybe the intricacies of the film will surface as we've had more time to think about it. But I doubt it. What I think I'll remember most about Burn is that it's the night fall came to Austin, the night before I had this wonderful cup of soup in the middle of the day.

No comments: