Friday, April 4, 2008

after CampCamp

Back on the porch with another cigarette, but this one of celebration. M showed up to help me, and MV was there to read a poem -- which is a good thing because I couldn't read my Revelations printout with my contacts, and he loaned me his drugstore reading glasses, which did the trick. I had already decided before I left the house to abandon the weird-eye glasses (because they obstructed my facial expressions), and once I got to Bouldin Creek Coffeehouse, I abandoned the harmonica solo and cut the reading by a third. All good choices, as I see it. M anointed me with the beet juice so perfectly in the last part of my reading, and much to my surprise, people -- the whole audience, it seemed -- sang along from the beginning!

But the big thrill of the night was that I saw D, the cutie waiter I felt like I'd embarrassed myself in front of at El Chile so long ago when he worked there (because of the huge crush I have on him). He saw me in my costume shortly before I went on and seemed to recognize me, but perhaps not from that situation (perhaps he wasn't sure he knew where he recognized me from).

After my bit, I hosed off in the restaurant restroom slop sink. I didn't see D after that (and wondered if he'd seen my well executed performance) until I was leaving, walking out of the Bouldin Creek back yard with G. D grabbed my hand and shook it, told me how he loved my performance (he was on after me and was in fact behind me, behind the sheer curtain during), and he held onto my hand for a long time. G said, "He sure held onto your hand for a long time!" And he gave a little squeeze at the end after he asked my name and told me his (I had forgotten, too). Good night!

No comments: