Sunday, October 25, 2009

wednesday, january 2nd (2004)

12 pm-ish
I'm having a cup of tea at Bongo (the original). A's meeting me here for lunch.

I have bad gas! I was really hungry about an hour ago and I ate a bowl of soy nuts, raisins, roasted peanuts and raw pumpkin seed. Ugh!

I haven't been in here so long. I was meeting [Life Coach] the last time I came here. The place is full of college kids. Belmont, Vanderbilt, Blair School of Music(?). Everybody's young except me and a big old guy with shoulder-length frizzy [hair] sitting across the table from a boy and his notebooks (poems? lyrics?) dashing his dreams, most likely.

I touched something - on my chair - and now my fingertips smell of patchouli oil. I don't know if I should be grossed out or turned on.

R went to New Orleans Monday.

I'm not as inspired here as I am at Fido.

In "1212" David and Jett are struggling because one of them has HIV, no insurance - since his job ended - no job, and he's scared. That's Jett. He is emotionally shut off to David, and David is trying to love him, but it isn't easy because Jett doesn't love himself; he hates himself. He was raised in a strict religious Fundamentalist house and David was raised an Athiest. They each have their own particular struggles.

There's a drip in the house.
David is a writer. He can't write with the dripping. It sounds like every faucet is dripping. Every faucet is dripping. He's high. He and Jett had a fight and Jett left to go get drunk. David gets high and tries to write, but the dripping... He goes to every faucet; he....

5:45 p.m.
I decided to try to just sit at the dining room table and write. I'm thinking of a first scene. I think the "1212" scenes will be scattered throughout. The first scene is in 1212 (as I see it right now). The scene starts with a slamming door. Jett has just stormed out. David yells to relieve his tension, then stands and listens for the gate to squeak open and shut, then for the car door to open and shut, the car to start up and pull away. Then David grunts (a failed attempt to yell again) and plops into a comfortable chair, peeks through the front window blinds then faces forward again, picks up his cell phone from the side table and calls his best friend. He gets voice mail and leaves a message: Hey, where are you? Jett just stormed out. It's just-- Oh, I don't want to leave you this on a message. Call me.

He hangs up and sits there and notices a dripping sound. He concentrates on the dripping and becomes the dripping; he nods his head with each drip, and starts up a rhythm. (He gets high first...) The rhythm gets more elaborate, David working his way from a head nod and a finger tap to whacking hands on legs and feet on floor, with some vocalized sounds as well.

He stops abruptly, sighs, looks at his cell phone, puts it on the side table, gets up and finds the dripping bathroom faucet and turns both knobs off tight. The dripping slows but doesn't stop.

David goes to the kitchen, gets a beer out of the fridge and sits at the small breakfast table, takes the pipe out of his shirt pocket and takes another puff, then opens a spiral notebook that was on the table (a pen is hooked to the front of it; he takes that off first). The notebook is full of writing on one side of most of the pages. Some pages have titles on them. He comes across the title, "K&M in the C&D Bin," and says aloud, "What kind of a name is that?" He rustles through the notebook to the first clean page at the back, pulls the lid off of the pen and starts writing.

s he writing a letter to Jett? Maybe. It can be vague in the way it speaks to the nature of their fight.
I think Jett just found out on this day that he has HIV.
He and David haven't been together long.
David owns the house, I think. He has a good job and Jett does not.
He is more than happy to help Jett out - financially even - but Jett is freaking out.
The letter can say something to the effect of "It doesn't matter, I still love you," etc.

No comments: