Friday, January 2, 2009

a $2.50 problem

Dear Alamo,

On Monday, December 29, 2008, I visited the Alamo Ritz to see Wonderwall, but couldn't enjoy the movie because I was distracted. Earlier that day, I had looked on your website to confirm the time of the show. While there, I saw this:

Music Monday Specials: Free large popcorn with purchase of a bucket of beer at all Music Mondays! Free large soda or $2 Alamo Ale w/ purchase of a pizza!

I have visited most of the Alamo locations numerous times in the three years I've lived in Austin (in fact, I just looked at my bank account and see that I spent $543.94 in tickets and food at the Alamo in 2008 with my credit card, and another fourth or third that amount in cash); I became a member of Austin Film Society because of my love of Alamo...

My waiter that night was C. I wrote on my order card: WATER / WILD AT ARTICHOKE HEARTS PIZZA / ALAMO ALE. When C picked up my order, I commented: "That's the $2 beer special, right?" She said, "Oh, I don't think we've offered that special in a while." I said, "I saw it on the website today." She said, "Well, if it's on the website, of course I'll give it to you, but I'll check with my manager."

When C returned, to my surprise, she said the manager told her to tell me "Because the offer is so outdated and we haven't been doing that in such a long time, he isn't going to honor it tonight. But he would be happy to give you a complimentary soda, if you'd like." (As an aside, I had to reorder water before I got it.)

I couldn't decide how to respond, and was thinking about it throughout the movie. My final response was to give the waiter a less-than-normal tip (I usually tip 20% or more, but left 15%, which I know is acceptable by many people's standards, but not my usual). Over the course of the past few days, I can't get this experience out of my mind, so I decided to write to you.

I'm writing to let you know, number one, that the "Music Monday Specials" offer is still on your website; and secondly, to let you know that I have already declined two offers to go to a movie at the Alamo since then (four days ago). I'm not saying I'm boycotting your theater forever, but that warm fuzzy feeling I used to get whenever I heard "Alamo Drafthouse" is definitely a little less warm and a little less fuzzy.

Sincerely,
JDJB


--

JDJB: I sincerely apologize for any confusion regarding our specials. Since my tenure began here at the Alamo we have offered specials for our discount programming (Music Monday, Weird Wednesday and Terror Thursday) which have been a free popcorn with purchase of a beer bucket and a free soda with purchase of a pizza. The later is the special I told the server we were offering. Only later during that night did i see the special you were referring to. While this is in fact an outdated special had i known it was on the website I would have honored the print. We are now in the midst of correcting this issue. We would love to get you back in a seat at the Ritz on us! If you would send me your address I will mail out some passes and card for a couple of free beers. Our customers always come first here and it really bothers me that we have some diminished our image in your eyes.. We want that warm and fuzzy feeling back. Best,

No comments: