Thursday, January 10, 2008

a thought

Sometimes, I've got nothing. Not that nothing is going on. Nothing to share. Not really. Too much going on. I've been having vivid dreams, crazy, exciting stuff that I know better than to even attempt describing. They just sit with me, and keep a little smile at the ready.

A couple of mornings ago, I woke up with a thought, and it seemed like an important thought. It was the first sentence to an upcoming chapter. The chapter is pivotal because the narrative goes from first-person to third-person. It has a purpose. The other chapters are all over the place, according to when they take place. (Some in my critiquing group have expressed dissatisfaction, even discomfort with the non-linear telling of the story. Feh!)

I kept spinning the thought around in my head. I didn't want to lose it. So I kept repeating it over and over. I didn't want to just roll over sleepy-eyed and grab the first piece of paper and the first pen and write it down. I wanted to make sure it was right.
I petted the cat.
I got up and peed.
I started the water for the coffee.
I put away the clean dishes.
I got the cat food and the half 'n' half out of the refrigerator.
I fed the cat.
I poured half 'n' half in my coffee cup.
I put the cat food and half 'n' half away.
I got the coffee out of the freezer.
I prepared the coffee filter.
I made my bed.
I turned on the power strip which turned on the internet.
I turned on my computer.
I put the filter on the carafe and poured the boiling water into it.
I entered my password and opened the programs I needed for work.

All the while I kept repeating this oh so important opening sentence to myself. Then I wrote myself an email. I updated it a couple of times throughout the day. This is what I ended up sending to myself:

One event cut a line through the world, divided it into two parts, measurably changed the lives of certain people on either side of it forever. That event took place with Anita Cox.

No comments: