Wednesday, July 30, 2008

l.i.e.

S and I are compulsive movie-aholics. We feed each other's compulsion, see probably five movies a week or more. Last night we walked over to the IMAX theater to see The Dark Knight but it was sold out. There was a long line. We decided to wait for the craze to die down a little before we attempt it again. We came home and watched L.I.E., directed by Michael Cuesta and starring Paul Dano. This was Paul's second film, his first leading role. (Most people first noticed him in Little Miss Sunshine.) He is a very good actor; this was a very good movie. I had some problems with the story in a couple of places, S had a problem with the ending, but I think he liked it overall.

I see so many movies that I want to keep a record of them, but it always seems too late to mark them down -- like the number of movies I've seen this year (with the SXSW Film Festival, the number is probably close to 100).

S and I recently joined Netflix. This was our first arrival, so I thought this was as good an incentive as any to start marking down the films I've seen. I guess I could say more about this particular film, but I feel a little rushed (which is another reason I don't often get around to it, because I don't feel like I have anything worthwhile to say). And also, I hate reviews that just tell you the plot of the movie (sometimes giving stuff away). Here's imdb's description:

A 15-year-old Long Island boy loses everything and everyone he knows, soon becoming involved in a relationship with a much older man.

I would definitely recommend it, if you care about my opinion. Maybe I'll write more about it later, but right now, S and I are getting ready to go see Mamma Mia!

No comments: