Friday, May 16, 2008

one of those good news/bad news situations

I didn't go to yoga because I was tired from being up at 5:30 (and couldn't go back to sleep), so I went to Dance instead, which was only so-so. After, B and I went to Bouldin Creek for a bite to eat and while we were eating, it started sprinkling and I decided I'd better get home and deal with the hole in the roof. But once I got home, it wasn't raining at all, and there were buckets in the appropriate places in the middle room, so I went to bed at about midnight.

At 12:45, the storm hit. There was rain blowing in all the windows -- hard! -- and I ran through the house closing all the windows as the window awnings flapped around and hail tinkled off of them. The nightlight in the kitchen kept going off and on and I thought the power was out, but apparently it was just that light.

I went to the porch to relax for a minute, and noticed that the huge pecan tree next to the garden had fallen across the garden onto my truck! It took a moment for it to sink in, then I decided to move the truck out from under the tree. I had to climb through wet limbs and leaves to get into the truck, and the window was all fogged up inside, but I managed to pull out without a lot of noise. Big surprise that there didn't seem to be any real damage, except that the gnome from the camper top was missing.

Just about as fast as the storm came it went, and eventually I got to sleep. The sun wasn't shining this morning, but it was lighter out the front window. I looked closer at the truck and there were two smallish dents over the passenger side door, but no real damage. The gnome was in the middle of the top of the tree, which was out over half of the road. His hat was broken off midway and I thanked him for giving his life to save the truck.

Then I noticed that I had two messages on my phone, and figured one of them was from the roofer, but no. One was a message from P from two days earlier that had just shown up on my phone. Weird. The other was from M; she came over to look at the old database of venues for possible places to play in her upcoming four month road tour. She was particularly looking for something in NC, and I told her about our old friend T and his wife L.

Later I sent him a message via myspace and he wrote back to say he would be happy to help M out in any way he can, and he also told me that he and L have separated. Sad.

I went to yoga and the road going there (15th Street) was bumper to bumper all the way. Come to find out, the storm with its tornado-force winds came right across 15th Street from the west, then split off at the interstate and over 15th and 12th. I drove through the cemetery later and it's easy to see the path, with all the beautiful old cedar trees split or knocked over, roots and all (like the pecan tree in our yard, roots and all).

When I got back from yoga, neighbor B was out front cutting the smaller limbs off of the tree to get the obstruction out of the road. I helped him drag the limbs to a pile on the curb then talked to my mom on the phone a while; she's planning to come for a visit in June.

She told me her new twin great-granddaughters have some problems. One has a (minor) club foot, the other one has a problem with her eyes, the arteries have not attached to the retina; they're watching her, and if things don't correct themselves, she might be blind. Tragic.

The gayboy neighbor J came by while I was on the phone with mom, and so I went over to his apartment when I got off and he offered me a Lone Star, then we went to El Chilito for fish tacos/burrito. He's nice. G was saying I need to have more gay friends and I think I've found me one. She meant ones I'm not interested in, and he fits the bill. There isn't any chemistry that I can feel.

Tonight there was a benefit at which L was singing, and I went to that. M was there and they were trading off songs for a half hour. It was nice. M has such a powerful voice.

Speaking of M, my main Lesbianaut (I've come to like that better than Les-B-Not, thank you very much), I came up with an idea that I'm gonna try to pursue: An intergalactic musical based on Jason and the Argonauts. I need to rent the movie for inspiration.

It's almost 12:30 now, and I'm tired. So I guess that's all for now.

No comments: